Summer League 2017 Metro-Area Thursday Division (Mixed)
Registration, Groups, and Waitlist Details
Please check out our FAQ page for more information about our registration process. If you have questions, comments, or concerns, please send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This division will play using the USAU 11th edition rule set with our recreational division rule modifications. Please see our rules page for more information.
As with all Ultimate games, the emphasis in this league will be on high spirit, great exercise, and fun for both newcomers and experienced players. Play hard, but play nice. And remember, violence, be it physical or verbal, is never acceptable and will get you suspended. Please keep your head about you.
- Games are played to 15, with a half-time at 8. Play 7 on each side or whatever makes sense based on attendance. Better to get started on time with 5s than wait half an hour for 7s. Win by 2, hard cap at 17. Captains can modify this as necessary as it gets dark. Teams are encouraged to play additional points or mini-games with additional time.
- Bring light and dark shirts to delineate teams, water, and cleats.
- Do not damage the fields. If we do, we will be fined heavily and not allowed to play again. If you're causing more than the normal wear and tear because the fields are wet, you have to stop. With regards to litter, leave the fields in better condition than you found them. Report serious damage. The better care we take of the fields, the more we'll get to use them.
- Gender Matching- the typical rule is that the offense sets how many women are on the field for that point, and the defense matches. This does not, however, require women to play the entire game if one team has fewer than the other, or give women 100% game time while the men only get 50%. Captains should discuss and find a balance that makes all the players happy. If there is a large imbalance of women, or players in general, often the best solution is for one team to sub someone over to the other for the game (perhaps switching at half). Do what makes the game fun, and fair. Note that match-ups on the line should be based on skill, speed, and height; you don't have to match versus gender. The objective is to have an even game.
- This division uses our normal pick-up policy
- After the games do a cheer for the other team, even on competitive night. This can be a quick "Great game!" it can be a song with modified lyrics, it can be a haiku, an interpretive dance, or a massive game of rock paper scissors. We've seen all of these done quite well. Show good spirit, this is ultimate.
- There is no alcohol allowed on or near the fields.
Most of all, have fun! Any questions, comments, or concerns can be directed to your captains, or to the organizers by emailing email@example.com.
Captains are highly appreciated, and play for a discount. Just put a 4 (or a 2-4 typically) in the "How Much I'd Like to Be a Captain" portion of your registration. As we form teams we'll choose captains based on experience, team balance, etc. If you're chosen, you'll have to come to the captains meeting, send emails to your teams to get them psyched about the games, and do the usual captain job of helping new players and keeping the spirit on your team high. You don't have to be the best player on the team, but you do have to have spirit and energy! Captains make this league work, so if you've been playing for a few seasons, think about joining the ranks of the captains.
Upon fulfilling their duties at the end of the season, captains receive a registration refund of $30.