Sunday (Summer Session 2)
Thursday (Summer Session 2)
Summer 2021 Sunday (Summer Session 2) Division (Cap-and-Fill)
Registration, Groups, and Waitlist Details
The Cap-and-Fill system will promote mixed ultimate while providing a space for as many players to participate in the league as possible. If necessary, we will accomplish this by splitting this division into a mixed division (with a goal of playing at least 3 of each gender per team on each point) and an open division (following our normal gender-matching rules) upon team generation.
How does it work?
- Registrations are placed into one large pool and the waitlist will be managed manually by the league directors.
- Splitting into 2 divisions will require that we get a number of registrations to support 8 teams.
- Half of the mixed division will be reserved for women. All additional women will be placed into the open division (regardless of preference).
- Half of the mixed division will be reserved for men. If there are open spots still remaining, men will be placed into the mixed division until full. All additional men will be placed into the open division (regardless of preference).
Each division can expand (even multiple times). The following criteria will be used to determine which division to expand:
- The mixed division will expand by 2 teams when there are enough additional women registered to form 2 teams along with enough men to fill the other half of those 2 new teams. E.g. if 2 teams require 28 players, 14 additional women and 14 additional men will allow us to expand the mixed division.
- The open division will expand by 2 teams when the previous criteria is not met, but there are enough additional registrations to form 2 teams. E.g. if 2 teams require 28 players, 28 additional players will allow us to expand the open division.
How can I ensure I get placed in a specific division?
We are adding a question to the registration process for you to indicate a preference of which division you end up in. This does not guarantee one or the other, but will help us when splitting the division.
If you are a woman, you will be placed in the mixed division unless you indicate that you would like to play in the open division.
If you are a man, you will be placed into the mixed division (space permitting) when one of the following criteria is met:
- You are in a group with a woman, 1:1.
- You indicate a preference for the mixed division, and there are spaces remaining after placing all women and their groups (based on registration payment timestamp). Please note, groups with two men will not make it unless BOTH members qualify.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact the league directors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check out our FAQ page for more information about our registration process. If you have questions, comments, or concerns, please send us a note at email@example.com.
This division will play using the USAU 2020-2021 Rules. Please see our rules page for more information.
Before the game, captains should try to evenly distribute gender on each team. If captains deem based on attendance that pickups will be necessary, they should let the directors know and arrange for pickups in advance of the game. The gender ratio should be determined on the field prior to the start of a game.
At the start of the game, after the first disc flip, an additional disc flip happens with the winner selecting which end zone is the "genzone." At the start of each point, the team that is at the genzone must choose the gender ratio. This process applies for the entire game (the "Genzone Decides Rule").
At the fields, captains should strive to find a balance that is equitable to all genders. Note that match-ups on the line should be assigned based on ability; a player does not need to match up with a player of the same gender.
As with all ultimate games, the emphasis in this league will be on high spirit, great exercise, and fun for both new and experienced players. Play hard, but play nice. And remember, violence, be it physical or verbal, is never acceptable and will get you suspended.
- Games are played to 15, with a half-time at 8. Play 7 on each side or whatever makes sense based on attendance. Better to get started on time with 5s than to wait half an hour for 7s. Extra time in your time slot can be used for extra points, so feel free to mix it up and keep playing.
- Bring light and dark (or your team color) shirts to delineate teams, water, and cleats.
- This division uses our default pick-up policy.
- After the games do a cheer for the other team. This can be a quick "Great game!", a song with modified lyrics, a haiku, an interpretive dance, or a massive game of rock paper scissors. We've seen all of these done quite well. Show good spirit, this is ultimate.
- There is no alcohol allowed on or near the fields.
Most of all, have fun! Any questions, comments, or concerns can be directed to your captains, or to league directors by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Captains are highly appreciated, and play for a discount. Just put a 4 (or a 2-4 typically) in the "How Much I'd Like to Be a Captain" portion of your registration. As we form teams we'll choose captains based on experience, team balance, etc. If you're chosen, you'll have to come to the captains meeting, send emails to your teams to get them psyched about the games, and do the usual captain job of helping new players and keeping the spirit on your team high. You don't have to be the best player on the team, but you do have to have spirit and energy! Captains make this league work, so if you've been playing for a few seasons, think about joining the ranks of the captains.
Upon fulfilling their duties at the end of the season, captains receive a registration refund of $20.