Summer 2021 Wednesday Division (Co-Rec)
Please check out the FAQ page for more information about the registration process. If you have questions, comments, or concerns, please send us a note at email@example.com. For this league only, the baggage size has been increased to 4. We strongly encourage same household baggages!
This division will play using the competitive division rule set with modifications. Please see the rules page for more information.
- Modification 1: A sideline stall count will be enforced. The defender should not vocalize their stall count and should instead keep an internal stall count. If the sideline fails to count the stalls, a stall out may be called by the defender.
- Modification 2: Due to the use of masks for play, there is no limit on timeouts/water breaks for this league. Water breaks should be taken frequently at the discretion of the pod captains. The same rules for resetting the field after time-outs should be applied if the water break is taken mid-point.
- Modification 3: After teams are selected, team "benches" should be on opposite sides of the field (similar to competitive tournament play) to allow plenty of room for social distancing on the sidelines.
Before the game, captains should try to evenly distribute gender on each team. Pickups are not allowed for this league. The gender ratio should be determined on the field prior to the start of a game.
At the start of the game, after the first disc flip, an additional disc flip happens with the winner selecting which end zone is the "genzone." At the start of each point, the team that is at the genzone must choose the gender ratio. This process applies for the entire game (the "Genzone Decides Rule").
At the fields, captains should strive to find a balance that is equitable to all genders. Note that match-ups on the line should be assigned based on ability; a player does not need to match up with a player of the same gender.
This league departs from other leagues in that not only do we wish to emphasize high spirit, great exercise, and fun for both new and experienced players, but a safe and healthy return to play. Play hard, but appreciate the limits of both yourself and other players who may have not played in over a year. And as always, play nice. Violence, be it physical or verbal, is never acceptable and will get you suspended. Please keep your head about you.
- Games are played to time (1.5 hours) and end immediately when your timeslot is over. This means that games can end mid-point and/or in a tie. Additionally, captains are encouraged to determine the last point to end before your time is up to enable a smooth transition to the next game, event, or renter.
- Bring white and dark shirts, water, cleats, and extra masks (it's hard to breathe in a wet mask).
- There are no pickups for this league. In the event two teams of 7 with adequate substitutes cannot be formed from members of the pod, the captains may make adjustments for number on the line and field size. i.e 5v5 on the same field size, 4v4 on a smaller field size, etc.
- After the games do a cheer for the other team. This can be a quick "Great game!", a song with modified lyrics, it a haiku, an interpretive dance, or a massive game of rock paper scissors. We've seen all of these done quite well. Show good spirit, this is ultimate.
- There is no alcohol allowed on or near the fields.
Most of all, have fun! Any questions, comments, or concerns can be directed to your captains, or to league organizers by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Captains are highly appreciated, and play for a discount. Just put a 4 (or a 2-4 typically) in the "How Much I'd Like to Be a Captain" portion of your registration. As we form teams we'll choose captains based on experience, team balance, etc. If you're chosen, you'll have to come to the captains meeting, send emails to your teams to get them psyched about the games, and do the usual captain job of helping new players and keeping the spirit on your team high. You don't have to be the best player on the team, but you do have to have spirit and energy! Captains make Ann Arbor Ultimate work, so if you've been playing for a few seasons, think about joining the ranks of the captains.
Upon fulfilling their duties at the end of the season, captains receive a registration refund of $10.
Interested in captaining a team? Sign up early and look out for our announcement of a mandatory virtual captain's meeting in early June!