Ann Arbor Ultimate Safety Expectations for Summer 2021 Session 1
In order to create a safe space when we gather, the listed safety expectations should be followed at all Ann Arbor Ultimate events. These guidelines may change as restrictions are lifted and legal/government guidelines change. A2U leadership will notify you if/when these changes have been made. All in-person events will adhere to all legal and recommended guidelines (State, CDC, Local Health Departments, etc).
In some cases our expectations may be stricter than such guidelines. Please understand that we are taking extra precautions in response to our survey results and to ensure that we can make this experience accessible to as much of the A2U community as possible.
The situation regarding COVID-19 is rapidly evolving and there are many unknowns. It’s impossible to completely eliminate risk. Everyone participates at their own risk, and we are all responsible for doing everything we can to mitigate it as much as possible.
- Monitor yourself for any symptoms & potential exposures. Do not show up to any in-person events if you have any symptoms, positive test, known exposure, or potential exposure. The exception to this, per CDC guidelines, is that you may participate at in-person events after a known exposure if you were fully vaccinated when exposed and remain asymptomatic.
- Anyone who is sick is expected to stay home and only return to play when they have been cleared by a doctor.
- If you find out that you are sick or potentially were exposed to COVID-19 previous to a gathering, we ask that inform the A2U directors. so that everyone who was present can be notified about their potential exposure. We will keep your information anonymous.
Face masks will be required for all activities at all times, except when physically distanced on the sideline. We understand this may be intimidating, but please know our intention is only to keep everyone as safe as possible. Unlimited water breaks will be permitted and we encourage everyone to slow down as much as needed for their physical and respiratory health.
- When you take your mask off on the sideline to get a drink or catch your breath, please ensure you are physically distancing. We will have separate sidelines for each team to help ensure there is room to physically distance.
- Please bring a few masks. It is difficult to breathe through them if they get wet (through condensation, etc) so you may go through multiple masks each game.
- Below are a few links to sports masks and frames that increase breathability:
Physical distancing is our most effective tool to keep ourselves and our communities safe. This is a new thing for many of us to navigate, and we may make mistakes as we are learning - remember that everyone is learning this new behavior and be willing to kindly remind each other.
- We will maintain a minimum of 6 feet (or greater) distance from other athletes at all times as recommended by our government and public health officials.
- Physical distancing is expected during all portions of a gathering including arrival, preparation, participation and clean-up
- Each person should keep their equipment apart and available for water breaks, and the team will not huddle, give high fives, or participate in other kinds of physical contact.
- As always, A2Ultimate supports parents’ access and participation in our community. In order to maintain pod count limits, we just ask that you let your captain know if you expect a child to join you for any activities.
*Each person’s safety and health is a priority. If you feel someone is purposefully disregarding these safety expectations or you feel is creating an unsafe experience, please do not hesitate to immediately stop your participation for the day and to bring it to the attention of the directors. Captains are asked to help monitor and encourage safe practices according to these expectations, however they are not expected to resolve disputes or otherwise enforce anything. If a Director is present at an event, you may also feel free to engage with them in the moment as well.
Directors will be checking in with Captains regularly to do our best to foster a safe environment. Directors will also be sending reminders, warnings and, if necessary, removing a participant from playing.
We acknowledge that many people will not have been exercising as regularly or strenuously as normal given the past year. This season, even more than usual, please take extra care with body control, warming up and stretching. We want everyone to stay safe and healthy the entire season. We have instituted a 30 minute warmup period as part of the first summer league. It is in everyone’s best interests to participate in this to reduce chances of injuries!
Ann Arbor Ultimate will provide Captains with a continuous supply of hand sanitizer, wipes, and cones.
- Each player should supply at minimum their own water, masks, cleats, snacks & sunscreen.
- We encourage the use of headbands/sweatbands and/or towels to avoid excessive touching of your face.
- If desirable, bring your own hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes for discs (Captains will always have some)
We are not health experts, but these recommendations are based on listening to those who are.
- Sanitizing your hands at the start, during (at regular intervals), and after gatherings is recommended.
- Avoid touching your faces during activities. Consider bringing a hat, headband, or sweatband.
- Please wash your hands before leaving your home, and when you get back home.
- If you need to cough or sneeze and prefer not to do so into your own mask, please separate yourself amply from others and cough/sneeze into the inside of your elbow. Remember to sanitize your hands if you have to touch your face in the process.
Many thanks to the players and leadership of Autonomous, as this document is based on their safety expectations.
Last Updated: May 12th, 2021