Who Are We?
Ann Arbor Recreation
Ann Arbor Ultimate Weather Policy
Generally, Ann Arbor Ultimate events play regardless of weather conditions. Locations, dates, and times are organized with the intention of avoiding as many weather-related cancellations as possible. That said, the weather can get the best of us at times so please use the following information as a guide.
- When lightning is sighted during or before games, play will be suspended for a minimum of 30 minutes for severe weather to clear. Additional lightning sighted will restart the 30 minute count. Play can resume when league officials or captains present at the event concur that it is safe to do so.
- When a lightning suspension is called, captains should signal a suspension of play, pick up the disc, and return to a covered location. Players should be told to return to their vehicles or seek cover until games are resumed, or declared cancelled.
- If a delay lasts more than 45 minutes, or if extended severe weather is forecast, games can be cancelled by a consensus of league officials or captains in attendance.
- League officials or captains present have the authority to apply these guidelines in the best way they see fit, with the safety of players given greatest importance.
- Generally, games will continue as scheduled despite rainy or wet conditions, as long as there is no lightning.
- In the event that the fields are deemed unplayable (fields are at risk for damage) either by league officials or the owners/operators of the field site, games may be cancelled. Cancellations can occur before or during an event.
- Upon cancellation of a game/event, a post will be made on the Ann Arbor Ultimate website and an email will be sent to all members of the league.
- Unless otherwise noted (via the Ann Arbor Ultimate homepage or an email from your captain and/or league official), assume that games are ON and NOT cancelled.
- We strive for timely notifications, but prefer not to cancel games if a wait-and-see approach can be used. Games are almost always played unless the site owner/operator closes the site. League officials and/or captains try to evaluate fields ahead of time to see if adjustments need to be made (e.g. cancellation, delay, relocation, etc.).
- We suggest that all players check their email and/or the website before heading out to the field site if inclement weather is in the forecast.
- As a policy, no refunds are issued for weather-related cancellations.
Last Updated: December 17th, 2022