Ann Arbor Ultimate Weather Policy
Generally, Ann Arbor Ultimate events play regardless of weather conditions. Locations, dates, and times are organized with the intention of avoiding as many weather-related cancellations as possible. That said, the weather can get the best of us at times so please use the following information as a guide:
- When lightning is sighted during or before games, play will be suspended for a minimum of 20 minutes for severe weather to clear. Additional lightning sighted will restart the 20 minute count. Play can resume when league officials or captains present concur that it is safe to do so.
- When a lightning suspension is called, captains should signal a suspension of play, pick up the disc, and return to a covered location. Players should be told to return to their vehicles or seek cover until games are resumed, or declared cancelled.
- If a delay lasts more than 45 minutes, or if extended severe weather is forecast, games can be cancelled by a consensus of league officials or captains in attendance.
- League officials or captains present have the authority to apply these guidelines in the best way they see fit, with the safety of players given greatest importance.
- Generally, games will continue as scheduled despite rainy or wet conditions, in the absence of lightning.
- In the event that the fields are deemed unplayable (fields are at risk for damage) either by league officials or the owners/operators of the field site, games may be canceled. Cancellations can occur before or during an event.
- Upon cancellation of a game/event, a post will be made on the Ann Arbor Ultimate website and an email will be sent to all members of the league.
- Unless you hear otherwise (via the Ann Arbor Ultimate homepage or an email from your captain or league official), games are ON and NOT cancelled.
- We strive for timely notifications, but prefer not to cancel games if a wait-and-see approach can be used. We almost always play games if the owner/operator of the field site does not cancel and try to scope out fields ahead of time to see if any adjustments need to be made.
- No refunds are issued for weather cancellations.
Last Updated: April 23rd, 2017